The coronavirus began to shutter schools and daycares in 2019. However, as COVID-19 testing and vaccines have become more readily available, most schools and daycares have already started to reopen.
Child care enables parents to return to work and provides kids with several developmental benefits. But, as a parent, you likely have questions about whether or not you should return your kids to their Montessori school daycare. In addition, you may be wondering if it is safe for your child to return to daycare and what your daycare is doing to protect your children.
American Montessori Campus (AMC) has a list of the most important questions to ask your Montessori daycare to help you make an informed decision about whether or not to return your child to daycare. Here’s a look at what you should know about COVID-19 and the questions you should ask your provider.
Is It Safe for Kids to Return to a Plano Montessori School Daycare During COVID-19?
Your concerns about your child’s return to Montessori school daycare are valid. Unfortunately, there have been more than 41 million cases of COVID-19 in the United States since the start of the pandemic. This has left many parents wondering whether or not it is safe for their kids to return to day cares in Plano.
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), children make up around 15.5 percent of all COVID cases in the United States. Fortunately, COVID-19 is generally not as dangerous in children as it is in adults. The AAP estimates that about 1.6 to 4 percent of COVID-19 related hospitalizations are for children and that only 0.1 to 1.9 percent of kids infected with the coronavirus are hospitalized for symptoms.
In a recent review of child care programs, at least one COVID-19 case was reported in 29 out of 101 child care programs. However, 69 percent of the reported child care facilities had a single case that did not appear to have a secondary transmission.
The Mayo Clinic has stated that most children do not experience symptoms for COVID-19 or have mild symptoms. Furthermore, most kids that do become severely ill from the coronavirus are children with underlying conditions, such as diabetes, asthma, obesity, or serious illnesses,
Are COVID-19 Vaccines Available to Day Cares in Plano?
Children 12 years old and older may receive the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, but the vaccine is not available to kids younger than 12. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that kids and teens that qualify are vaccinated as soon as possible. Getting vaccinated can help stop the pandemic and keep your child safe from COVID-19.
If you are interested in vaccinating your child, you can check with your local pharmacy or your pediatrician to see if vaccine appointments or walk-ins are available.
Important COVID-19 Questions to Ask Your Montessori in Plano TX
To help parents make an informed decision about Montessori’s in Plano TX, AMC Daycare prepared a list of important COVID-19 questions to ask before enrollment.
● Are tours of the Montessori available during COVID-19?
● Are visitors screened for COVID-19 symptoms?
● Have daily temperature checks been implemented for staff and children?
● Are staff or children required to wear a mask?
● How many children will be in your child’s daycare?
● How often are toys and materials sanitized?
● What happens if your child has COVID-19 symptoms?
● What happens if a staff member or child becomes sick with COVID 19? Are parents informed about the exposure?
● What are the procedures for children or staff that have been exposed to someone with COVID-19?
● Is the AMC Daycare practicing social distancing?
● What are the current hygiene practices for staff and children?
● Are there any changes to drop-off and pick-up procedures during COVID-19?
● Does AMC require vaccines for staff or children 12 and older?
General Questions to Ask About AMC Daycare
You may have additional questions about your Montessori school daycare. Here are the most frequently asked questions about AMC.
● What are the costs?
● Does AMC daycare have a waitlist?
● What is the child-to-educator ratio?
● What is a typical day like at AMC?
● Does AMC require staff to hold any certifications or degrees?
● How does AMC handle disciplinary actions?
● What is AMC’s visitor policy?
● What is served for meals at AMC?
● What procedures does AMC have for handling formula or pumped breastmilk?
● What activities are available at AMC?
● Can AMC staff administer emergency allergy treatment or medicine?
● Does AMC assist with potty training?
Helping Your Child Prepare for Their Return to Montessori School Daycare
Montessori school daycare provides several benefits to your child’s development, including language, social, motor, and autonomy skills. However, the decision to return your child to AMC daycare is a personal one that only you can make.
If you choose to enrol your child in daycare, there are several steps that you can take to help your child prepare for their return, including:
● Avoid using worrying language about COVID-19 with your child.
● Tell your child about their return to Montessori school daycare a day or two in advance.
● Reassure your child to manage any anxiety they might have about returning to daycare.
● Gather additional information about COVID-19 procedures at AMC Daycare.
● Talk to your child about changes to their daycare routine.
Make an Informed Decision About Your Child’s Montessori in Plano TX
The decision to return to Montessori school daycare is personal, and not every family has the same needs. Therefore, you must take the time to ask your provider about its COVID-19 guidelines to help you make an informed decision.
COVID-19 cases in children are usually not as severe as cases in adults. However, you should speak with your child’s physician if your child has a chronic medical condition, is awaiting a transplant, or is immunocompromised before deciding on your child’s return to daycare.
The American Montessori Campus (AMC) in Plano, Texas, is committed to keeping your child safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, the daycare has new COVID-19 protocols in place, including daily cleanings.
The American Montessori Campus is here to answer any questions you have about our COVID-19 protocols. Get in touch with us today to learn more about what our Plano Montessori school daycare is doing to keep your children safe.